Thursday, October 4, 2012

Concerns about Formative Assessment

Formative assessment is something very new in the classroom and many teachers are trying to do their best to incorporate it in their lessons. Many teachers struggle with how to actually assess their students and finding time in the day to do it. There are a few things regarding formative assessment that concern me. One of the aspects being that I have enough variety with how I am formatively assessing the students. I do not want to just continue to use the same methods every time to assess the students. I know a decent amount of methods, however I want to make sure that I use as many as possible so that I can assess them in different ways. Another part of formative assessment that concerns me is that I make sure that I actually remember to use formative assessment. I am worried that I will get caught up in the lessons and what I am teaching and I will forget about the assessment part. I need to make sure that I know I need to assess every day during every lesson.

There are things I can do in the classroom to make sure I am addressing my concerns and fixing them. To make sure I am implementing enough variety regarding formative assessment I will have a list right on my desk for when I am making my lesson plans. Since I am aware of my concern I feel like I will make sure I am using enough variety in my lessons. I will have other people check over my lessons to make sure my assessments are varied and fit with the lesson. In regards to making sure I use formative assessment, I will put a specific space in my lesson for formative assessment. In that section, I will put exactly what type of formative assessment I will use as well as when I will use it. This way, when I am reviewing my lesson plans before I teach, I will be reminded to use the assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment